Hens or roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littleredhen00, Sep 14, 2016.

1. littleredhen00

littleredhen00 Just Hatched

Aug 6, 2016
    Pleasant garden nc
    We have 6 chicks about 4 months or less old, we have a red one, black one with green tint, black one with brown feather tips, a black and white one, a big white one and a little white one. Wondering what gender they are???[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Females from what I can see, but pending better pics.

3. littleredhen00

Aug 6, 2016
    Pleasant garden nc
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Did the birds come from a feed store/hatchery, or from a private breeder?

How much can you narrow down age?

The red one I'm not sure on. If it's from a hatchery, it's a red sex link and should be female. If it's from a breeder, it may be a second generation sex link, it kind of has a cockerel look to it.

The second white bird I'm also not sure on. The comb is pretty red, and looks like a triple row. That's usually a male sign.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Need much better photos with natural lighting. Too dark, and the flash is washing them out. Can't see the feather detail properly. When photographing chickens, you must be very patient.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

8. littleredhen00

Aug 6, 2016
    Pleasant garden nc
    we hatched them all ourselves from our chickens, the father was a ameriucana and the black one's mother was a black sex link, black and white ones mother was a Plymouth Rock, the red ones mother is a red sex link and we got those mothers from a local southern states. The two white ones mothers are both ameriucanas. They are 4 months old. Hope this helps

9. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    The Barred one and the red ones look to be guys, especially if the barred one's mom was a rock.

The top white one looks to be a hen.

The rest need better photos, with better light and side angles. I can't tell if the bottom white ones are just getting close to laying or if they have saddle feathers on their backs.

10. littleredhen00

Aug 6, 2016
    Pleasant garden nc
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by