hens or roosters?

kathrync

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2013
These chicks are between 7-8 weeks of age, and they are supposed to be female. I bought them from a small, local hatchery and found out that they have some bad reviews about the accuracy of their chick sexing. Now I'm worried I may have a bunch of roosters! There are a variety of breeds, so I don't know how they should compare.

Copper Maran:
IMG_6103.jpg

Olive-Egger:
IMG_6108.jpg

Rhode Island Red:
IMG_6111.jpg

Silver Laced Wyandotte:
IMG_6116.jpg

Blue-laced Wyandotte:
IMG_6117.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

Ameracauna:
IMG_6121.jpg

Same silver-laced Wyandotte:
IMG_6123-2.jpg

Hey folks, Im new here. Its been a while since I've used a message board, but I figured id jump back in. I apologize if im breaking some protocol.

I have 3 15 week old Easter Eggers. Can yall help me determine what sex they are? They aren't crowing yet, which I assumed they would if they were roosters. I have 3 other breeds of chickens, but these are my first EE. Im confused by them for sure.View attachment 2185105
These look like pullets to me. I know EEs have a small comb, but you would see some lovey sickle feathers by now if you had a roo.

The only one I am pretty sure about is the olive-egger being a hen. The feathering on the silver-laced Wyandotte looks like hen feathers. I think that Rhode Island Red Roos have blueish tail feathers so I think she is a girl. As for the copper Martin and the blue laced Wyandotte I think they might be roosters. I have no clue about the Americana. You can never be sure totally about the sex of a chicken until he crows or she lays an egg. You have a really nice flock of chickens though!
Also there are some threads that people sex your chicks for you here is one: " Not sure if you have a pullet or cockerel? Click here! Thread 2". Look that up on BYC and you should see it.

The only one I am pretty sure about is the olive-egger being a hen. The feathering on the silver-laced Wyandotte looks like hen feathers. I think that Rhode Island Red Roos have blueish tail feathers so I think she is a girl. As for the copper Martin and the blue laced Wyandotte I think they might be roosters. I have no clue about the Americana. You can never be sure totally about the sex of a chicken until he crows or she lays an egg. You have a really nice flock of chickens though!

I have coppers they look exactly like one in pic mine are both hens

Also there are some threads that people sex your chicks for you here is one: " Not sure if you have a pullet or cockerel? Click here! Thread 2". Look that up on BYC and you should see it.
Thank you! I'll post there :)

Back
Top Bottom