1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens or roosters?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RicksKickinChicken, Apr 27, 2010.

1. RicksKickinChicken

RicksKickinChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Is there any difference between hens and roosters as far as meat goes? which is better to eat

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They taste the same but the boys get bigger faster.

3. Chicken411

Chicken411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    Quote:As long as you don't let the roosters get too old that is. I don't have any experience with it, but apparently when the testosterone kicks in the bird doesn't taste as good. Someone else who has more experience can maybe explain better.

4. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    I've never noticed any difference in taste when the testosterone kicks in. There are bigger testicles inside, of course. And hens can be weird to eviscerate if you're not used to the innards. But mostly the roosters are just larger.

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    With DP's, the roo's get bigger, but the hens get more fat. I've never noticed any change in taste from testosterone. Older birds always have more flavor, though, than young ones. Young ones are more tender for quick cooking; for older ones, you need long and slow, low-temp cooking.

With broilers, you process them so young, you might not notice which is which, but the males do tend to get bigger. When I ordered them a long time ago, I ordered all males, so I don't know what the females innards look like at that age. The ones I have now, all the ones I've butchered so far have been male, but I'm sure there are a few pullets in there. So I'll find out as soon as I process them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by