Hens or Roosters

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jay1105, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    [​IMG] Hi all,

I am new to the chicken game so humor me. This is where I am... The wife and I decided to raise some chics for egg production. Built a great coop and 12x12 run. Purchased 8 Ameraucauna "pullets" from a local feed store, they are around 16 days old and oh so cute! I am trying to figure out if I do indeed have hens. I have noticed little bitty nubs where spurs would be on more than half.
    My question: do all chickens have these nubs and only male grow spurs or do I have roosters and need need to contact the feed store and have a conversation with them?

Any information on this subject would be appreciated

Thanks, Jay

2. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    It's my understanding they all have the nubs. This thread may help you sex EEs.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:No you wont need to. All chickens have them and thats indeed where the spur grows out of and some older hens will grow spurs too. So there is no need to worry about them, and as for the breed the are 99% sure to be Easter Eggers also known as EE, Hatcherys and feed stores Sell EE's as Ameraucana or aruacana but they are EEs. Anymore questions feel free to ask and [​IMG] btw. John

4. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    The feed store is at the mercy of the hatcheries. Most hatcheries guarantee 90 percent or above will be hens. So it isnt an exact sience. For instance i bought 10 peeps all were supposed to be hens but one was a rooster. Its impossible to be 100 percent right. So give the feed store a break it isnt their fault.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    All chickens have spur nubs.

6. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Thanks, Jferlisi. I should have explained what an EE was.

BTW, Jay: [​IMG]

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    So far I have had good luck with hatchery sexing!

[​IMG]

You can also post pictures in the gender forum and see but at 16 days it may be too early to know for sure. Wait until the feathers are on and then it would be more accurate. It's definitely a waiting game with chickens. First you wait to see if you got what you wanted (gender) and then you wait for eggs! [​IMG]

8. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:lol its all good. [​IMG]

9. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Basically, you'll be able to tell if you have pullets or cockerals at around 3-4 weeks. They should have a "pea comb", which looks like peas in a pod. The pullets will have only one row of peas, cockerals will have three rows. The cockeral's comb will definitely be wider because of the three rows. Chances are that you actually purchased Easter Eggers, which are chickens that carry the blue egg gene. You don't usually buy true Ameraucanas from hatcheries, only from breeders. I fell for that also when I started out. It's no big deal though, Easter Eggers are wonderful birds also and lay beautiful eggs. I now have both and they're wonderful. Enjoy your chickens!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by