Hens or roosters???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tbrz70, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tbrz70

tbrz70 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    I have what I believe to be hens that are all 2-2.5 months old. I am thinking that some of them, although I was told they were all pullets at the farm supply I got them from, are in fact roosters. I know they will get spurs at some point, but is there a distinctive way to be able to tell at this point? I dont want any roosters and I would like to replace them with a few more hens if they are in fact roosters. I have 3 silver laced wyandottes, 2 golden sexlinks, 2 black sexlinks and 2 bard rocks. I dont know if each breed just looks different and thats why maybe some look like they could be roosters but really are hens. AAAAAHHHHH!! These are my first chickens and I just wanted to be sure they were all hens!!

thanks for any input!

Tara

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Of the breeds you mentioned the only breed that can't be sexed visually at hatch are the wyandottes. Gold and black sexlinks are easy to tell because the females are one color and the males another. Barred Rocks (so named because of the barring on their feathers) are even easier to tell as they feather out. Females are more black with narrower white stripes, while the males look more white with narrower black stripes.

The best thing to do would be to post some pictures, and we can help you out. I know that as a New Egg you aren't able to post pics just yet but post a few more times and you will be able to. At this age we should be able to guess pretty accurately for you.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    we need pics....
    You need to post 10 times before photos will go up, so jump around and post questions or comments to others posts, then...

You can post them by following this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

we may be able to help, when they are that young, it is very difficult with some breeds to tell.
    You said you have a few Barred Rocks and Black Sex links, so do I, so maybe if you post pics of all the breeds, those that also have them, will be able to help you.
    BTW not just roosters get spurs, not a sure fire way to tell, at least that is my understanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(My 2 BSL pullets)

[​IMG]
    (My BR pullet)

[​IMG]
    (My BR roos, when they were young)

The roos are lighter in color and have yellow legs, the pullets have a black splash down the fronts of the legs and are darker in color

Post some pics and we will see if we can help you.

4. tbrz70

May 28, 2011
    Thanks very much...here is post #3!

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    just keep posting, even on your own, till you get to 10! [​IMG]

6. tbrz70

May 28, 2011
    post 7

7. tbrz70

May 28, 2011
    post 8...i love my chickens

8. tbrz70

May 28, 2011
    post 9....one more to go

9. tbrz70

May 28, 2011
    clipped their wings the other day

10. tbrz70

May 28, 2011
    ok...so i am going to go out and try to take individual pics right now...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by