Hens or Roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by UrbanFarmerGreg, Oct 15, 2011.

1. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Does anybody know the ratio of male to female when a hen lays eggs? Is there a certain percentage overall or does it differ from breed to breed? I'm just curious and can"t seem to find an answer, thanks

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What do you mean? - What's a good ratio for fertility, or a good ratio that doesn't put stress on the hens?

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:i like about 1 cock every 10 hens un less ur rooster lazy like silkie witch then 1 cock for every 5 hens

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:im guessing fertility

5. UrbanFarmerGreg

Oct 11, 2011
    I meant whats the ratio of roosters to chicks hatched? For every egg hatched how many should be roosters?

6. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:there is not telling on silkies seem like there 80% boys my polish 50 ]50

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Over the long run, half will be male, half female.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Yep. Some hatches will be skewed mostly female, some mostly male, but each egg has a fifty fifty percent of being female. Or male. Just like every other animal.

9. UrbanFarmerGreg

Oct 11, 2011
    Ok I really thought that more chicks would have hatched as females due to the fact that everybody I know with chickens has more hens then roosters.... I just figured it was an evolution thing...

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, most folks, especially those raising hens for eggs, would have very little use for very many roosters. The hatch ratio is 50/50. But the reality is that most of the rooster are unwanted and not needed. Most hatcheries producing chicken breeds, which are intended for egg production, dispatch (kill) most the hatched roosters.

When folks raise meat birds, the rooster is preferred for it's larger body type. But in the egg world, hens outnumber rooster thousands to one. Just the way it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by