Hens or roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lyrika, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Lyrika

Lyrika Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    Australia
    Hi,

I got my first two chickens off a friend when they were about 6 weeks old. They are now about 11 - 12 weeks old and I'm still not sure if I've got roosters or hens. Googling hasn't really helped much so I figured I'd just post some pictures and get some help from people with more experience.

I was told the black one is an Australorp x (probably with RIR) and the brown one is a bantam leghorn. They're both lovely but I've noticed them fighting with each other (jumping feet first at each other) so I wondered if maybe I had a pair of roosters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If there are any more pictures that would be helpful please let me know.

Thank you.

2. jlkanipe81

jlkanipe81 New Egg

Oct 12, 2012
    Looks like hens to me

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The dark bird is a young roo, the leghorn is a pullet. She doesn't really look like a bantam, she looks like regular leghorn size.

4. Lyrika

Feb 20, 2013
    Australia
    What makes you say that? I'd like to know what to look for, I'm hoping to get some more chickens soon.

5. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    A red comb at that age usually indicates a rooster, and that orange on its back may be emerging saddle feathers. Could you take a close-up of that area? I agree that your other bird's a pullet.

6. AngieO

AngieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Black looks like a roo and brown looks like a hen. The black one has red on his wattles and face, plus his comb is larger. The brown birds comb is a light color and small.

7. Lyrika

Feb 20, 2013
    Australia
    Here are some more pictures. I can try to take some clearer ones when my boyfriend gets home if these are no good, I was having trouble holding an uncooperative chook and a camera at the same time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    those are undeniable roo feathers(the brown colored ones) coming on the black one. leghorn is 100% pullet.

9. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Your Jersey Giant or Australorp ( your black one ) is a rooster, the comb and wattles are far to red for that age. You Leghorn is a pullet.

10. Chicken Tamer

Chicken Tamer Overrun With Chickens

Jul 10, 2012
    On The Couch (-:P
    The black one is a Cockerel and Leghorn is a Pullet :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by