Hens or toms

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
Bought these 3 bourbon reds a few months back as hens but not sure now. Any guesses that could help. At the time I just went off snood size they had the smallest snoods of the others.
20211031_094519.jpg

Imo the first one is a tom, the 2nd one is a hen, and the 3rd one could be either, just from the top views. However they aren't always accurate. I can't tell if they have their mature feathers yet or not but definitely keep an eye out on the breast feathers like R2elk suggested

Imo the first one is a tom, the 2nd one is a hen, and the 3rd one could be either, just from the top views. However they aren't always accurate. I can't tell if they have their mature feathers yet or not but definitely keep an eye out on the breast feathers like R2elk suggested
Those have their mature feathers. The immature breast feathers of both hens and toms Bourbon Reds all have light colored lower edges.

Yeah I looked I see what you're saying about the feathers. The one with the Mohawk also has the lightest feathers. I'll sell a tom and keep one so I can have full bourbon reds.

Yeah I looked I see what you're saying about the feathers. The one with the Mohawk also has the lightest feathers. I'll sell a tom and keep one so I can have full bourbon reds.
The lightness of the feathers does not matter. It is only the lower edge of the breast feathers that matters. Hens will have a light colored lower edge. Toms will have a dark colored lower edge that may even be black.

The lightness of the feathers does not matter. It is only the lower edge of the breast feathers that matters. Hens will have a light colored lower edge. Toms will have a dark colored lower edge that may even be black.
That's what I meant. 2 of em have a dark blackish looking edge where the feather fans out. Now I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do with em.

Back
Top Bottom