1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens pecked at rat poison??!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goldeneggtees, Nov 9, 2010.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I've had issues with rats since getting chickens 1.5 years ago. We are even supposed to be part of an animal planet show regarding rats in the 5 boroughs, they say our segment (filmed over the course of about 3 months) might air in March.

The exterminators from the show were never able to catch a rat. They put out like 25 traps but alas didn't get any. The rats did seem to go away for awhile but now they are back. I had an exterminator come to treat my house for a flea problem we have been having as well. He recommended we use poison inside the trap for the rats and assured me the hens could not get to it.

Well, this morning, when I went to clean, feed and water, I see one of the traps moved from it's location. To my horror, I see the poison is now sitting at the entrance of the hole and is accessible to the hens. I assume they pecked at it last night before they went in for the night. There were no chunks missing from the poison, only small bits that seemed not to be eaten. There were crumbs lying on the bottom of the trap.

All look ok and fine this morning, what do you all think? Will they be ok? I have an email in to my friend who is a vet and I'm waiting on her reply.

Edited to add: the show exterminators never used poison because I was so hesitant to use it, they only used baited snap traps.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    If it were me I would get rid of the poison. I don't know how you feel about guns or if you are rural or suburbs , but I have found that strapping a flashlight on a rifle and shooting them at night very effective and a good time to boot. I have lessened my problem with rats by building my coop off the ground so that the rats can't burrow under. It's a 10x12 and is raised about a foot and a half above the ground.

3. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    We are surrounded on all sides by neighbors, a gun would be out. Unless a pellet gun would work. I know my son would enjoy that! The coop is really old, probably built in the 20's or 30's. It is raised off the ground by about 1.5 feet. I can see where previous owners of the property had issues where the rats chewed holes into the bottom of the coop, these are covered up in sheet metal. The coop floor is made of wood. We put mesh around and down into the ground to try and stop them from getting under the coop but I think it's impossible to keep them out. They've made many new holes. UGH!!!!!

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    i had a chihuahua get into rat poison once and the vet put him on vitamin K. Most rat poison has anitcoagulants in them that stop the blood from clotting and they bleed to death internally vitamin K promotes clotting. I would say you probably need some vitamin K as a precaution, but I would wait to hear from your vet cause you will also need dosage info.

5. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I have vitamins and electrolytes in powder form, wonder if it has vitamin K in it?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What is the ingredient in the rat poison? Warfarin? Bromadiolone? Very different chemicals.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    my package says it has a source of vitamin K but I dont know if that would be enough to actually help. I know my chihuahua was on a large dosage dont remember how much and he was only about 5 lbs.

8. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    i'll try and find out.

9. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    warfarin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by