Hens pecking at and eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kickerandrosey, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kickerandrosey

kickerandrosey New Egg

Jul 28, 2008
    Jefferson, GA
    Hello All,

I just bought 38 hens that are approx 1 year old. When we looked at them at thier original coop they had plenty of eggs and they were not broke. Since we have gotten them home on Sat they have been pecking at and eating the eggs what is causing that and how do we stop it. Also how to you build nesting boxes that as soon as the egg is layed it rolls into a holding place until gathered.

2. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    I am not sure about the nesting boxes, however, I can say that they are probably stressed due to a new environment, I would try collecting the eggs ASAP to stop this behavior......good luck.....I know for sure if they don't have enough room they will easily become stressed and will peck each other and their eggs

3. kickerandrosey

kickerandrosey New Egg

Jul 28, 2008
    Jefferson, GA
    I don't think room is an issuse we have 160 sq feet which is 4 sq feet per bird. I was thinking it was probably stress. We have been checking every so often for eggs. Thanks so much

4. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Yeah it's probably stress, Do you have any electrolytes you can add to the water....I use durvet it's a powder it makes the water yellowish, they tend to do better with it

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am not trying to be offensive but, personally, I dont think 4 square feet per bird is enough. That is 2ft X 2ft. That doesnt give a lot of space for them.

6. kickerandrosey

kickerandrosey New Egg

Jul 28, 2008
    Jefferson, GA
    Your not being offensive at all. 4 ft square feet is just inside we are working on the outside pen and that will given them about 8 sq feet or more when we are finished. Living here in Ga we don't get that cold so they will be able to be out side year round.

I never thought about electrolytes. I will try that. Thank so much everyone. [​IMG]

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    mine wern't eating the eggs, just had a hen that pecked a small hole in her egg.... I put pratice plastic golf balls in a few of the nest boxes and no more holes, i'm sure she plays with the golf balls b/c i will find one from her box on the floor once in a while but no harm to the egg, i'm not saying its not stress but maybe the golf balls would help also !!!!

8. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Whatever works, right [​IMG]

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    My egg laying hens were eating a few eggs a couple of months ago so i just threw a little more crack corn out for them and now i only get atleast one egg every few weeks that has been eating [​IMG]

10. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Quote:Good One!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by