1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens pecking at feathers laying on ground.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bucky52, Dec 19, 2013.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have read on byc that its a sign that they need more protein in their diet.

I have 10 hens and they vary in age
    some have just finished up their molt
    I took them off layer .and started them on flock raiser which has 20% protein
    they have almost finished up a 50lb bag
    I give them a cup of freeze dried meal worms once Aday.
    and I cook up some eggs at least once a week.
    I have read I can give them cat food in moderation.
    I checked the chick starter and that has 24% protein.
    Would it be wise to give them the chick starter
    or could any one suggest something else.
    thanks.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I would not worry about them picking up the feathers that are already on the ground. They are always looking for things to eat and loose feathers are one of the things they will eat. If fact it is a normal thing for them to do. It is when they pluck other chickens that the problems start. With a cup meal worms for ten hens and 20% feed, I would think that is plenty of protein. If they are plucking feathers then there may be another problem other then protein deficiency. Being confined during the winter can cause things like boredom to rear its head.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    ok thanks.their run is somewhat of a maze and it is30x30.hopefully thay won't get to bored.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by