Hens Pecking At Lead Base Paint

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happycowdog, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Happycowdog

Happycowdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    I think this topic belongs here since it has to do with behaviors! We live in an old house built around 1925. It was in bull-dozing condition until we bought and renovated it beautifully. Well, the only painting we have to do is on the garage door and it was bubbly. Now, one of my Wyandotte hens has been pecking at it and eating the paint, more than likely lead-based paint. There is now another brahma that is pecking and eating the garage door paint too!

My husband sanded smooth the left-over paint on the garage door, yet they still go after it! My husband blocked it, they find a way around the block. My husband's second home is the garage so chicken wire won't work. Until the weather breaks, do any of you have suggestions to keep them off of that door? They are enclosed, but the garage door is included in that enclosure. Obviously, too much lead will hurt anyone. Do you think that a few paint chips will add lead to eggs or seriously hurt the health of my hens? Right now there is snow on the ground and we can't do anything until the weather breaks. We plan on repainting in the spring.

2. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Also, the hens have began to congregate around the base of the house. They are now pecking the latex paint of the house!! Will latex harm my chickens? Why in the World are they doing this? Are they bored?? We plan on moving the enclosure to the back along with painting in the spring. But again, any suggestions will help at this point.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi Happycowdog.

I don't have a picture of the set up for your chickens but obviously they have
    access to the garage door.

If you don't have other stuff for them to play with you need to find
    things.

Chickens love to jump up on things, a chair, a little table, bushes, stuff like that.
    They need variety just like people. A flat yard with no greenery or things
    to do is boring. They want something to do.

A potted plant or two if you can't move them, a chair, ladder,
    and some pecking range bricks will help.

Geri

4. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Thank you. I think I am going to get some things going for them out there. I really worry about the paint my Wyandotte ate. I hope she didn't take in too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by