1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen's pecking feathers off 1 girl

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chic'sRFun, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Chic'sRFun

Chic'sRFun New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    Hernando ms
    I have 5 hens and 1 is being pecked by the other hens to the point where she is almost bare backed with no feathers. They free range and are only pened up together at night. Please let me know what I can do to help her. Thanks.

2. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    It sounds like she may be the lowly hen if noone else is getting plucked. If there were attacking each other then you would have a real problem. If it was me I would separate her, but if she is the lowest one on the todem pole then you may not be able to introduce her back in [​IMG] If you leave her in they might cannibalize and kill her.

3. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    I have the same issue with one of my eight. Not to the point of being barebacked, but this one girl is very definitely low hen on the totem pole. I'm keeping an eye out for actual injury but unless it escalates to bloodletting I think I will just observe. Someone has to be at the bottom of the pile, after all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by