Hens Pecking me!!! OUCH!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roy Rooster, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All, [​IMG]

I am new to chickens, I am currently raising my first flock.

I have 13 BO hens and 2 Roos. They are 20 weeks old.

Lately when I go out to the coop to spend time with the chickens I have
    noticed a few of the hens pecking me. They peck my legs and when I am holding
    one of them a few of the others really start pecking. Does any one know why
    they are showing this kind of behavior?

An interesting side note: My rooster do not peck me at all. In fact when I hold
    them the hens really get upset and start pecking my legs. Funny I thought that
    most of the problems would come from my roosters.

Any info and or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks BYCers.

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    When chickens are young, they haven't learned what's edible or not. They are also very visually oriented. They react to whatever they see. So they are basically testing out EVERYthing they haven't seen before to see if it's worth trying to eat.

In a few months, I don't think they'll peck as much.

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

They just want attention and are jealous when you hold the rooster and not them. At 5 months old, they know what is edible or not, but can't really pat you on the shoulder with a wing, so they peck instead.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have a hen that pecks me if I show attention to anyone but her. This includes other chickens, guinea's or my goats. [​IMG]

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

nah... that aint it... its like that movie where that meteor crashed and oozed that yucky green gunk into the water supply and the whole town went nuts, but it started with the chickens... See any meteors lately?

6. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    So, is it a compliment that they peck me?? [​IMG]

I was beginning to think that I was doing something wrong, but from what
    I am hearing they love me and all want to be picked up. Right?

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Yep. Dogs sniff, kids touch and chickens peck. They use their beaks as hands because that's all they have. And their eyesight is way better than ours so they can see the tiniest dot or freckle on our legs. I went out to feed my babies with a bandaid on my finger once and I'll never make that mistake again lol They zeroed in on it instantly and ripped it to threads.

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    My BO pecks at me. I always just thought she wanted attention or to see if I was made of treats. If I sit and hold her she doesn't peck at me so much as rakes with her beak like there might be seeds under my shirt if she can just get the material to part. It does occasionally hurt when she gets on a roll but she's never drawn blood.

I have friends w/ BO's that also peck so I have to wonder if this breed is more prone to do that.

I don't mind it so I ignore it. And it's easier to do so with just the one.

I do spritz the others with water if they are being naughty. Mainly scratching right at the patio and kicking dirt all over so you might want to try getting a spray bottle with water and and spritzing them if they peck and saying something as a command too, like Naughty, and see if you can break them of that behavior.

9. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Quote:I agree. I think that it's comparable to baby humans, in that they stick everything, and I mean everything in their mouth when exploring their new world.

Although my older hens still peck me, it's less than with the chicks, and it's usually just for attention or treats. [​IMG]

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I honestly think they do it for attention. It's like they're saying, "Hey, I'm down here! Pay attention to me!" I have two hens that will do that to me, especially if I'm holding another chicken. I think they just get jealous. So I just give in and pick them up. Probably not the right thing to do, but I can't resist their charms.

Now, Flopsy, one of my big red laying hens, will peck me anytime. And she pecks HARD! OUCH! I shoo her away gently with my leg if I'm busy, but most of the time I just pick her up. What a trouble-maker she is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by