hens pecking rooster comb, untill bloody, any help, anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yvonne37894, May 20, 2010.

1. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Doninique Rooster got frostbite last winter on his comb.

Now the hens won't leave it alone.

I take him out of pen untill it heals

Put him back in, within a vew weeks it's bloody again.

Don't want to put the peepers on the hens.

Any suggestions, any help

2. KelliV

KelliV Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Pasco County, FL
    There are a lot of different solutions answered on the forum, I'd suggest searching "pecking" to find them all.

First and foremost, chickens are cannibalistic. They will generally continue to peck at any open wound or sore. I have used several methods to try to remedy pecking:

-I have used pine tar (available at local feed stores). It is supposed to taste bad, but it also keeps the area moist to help healing and camouflages any sign of redness associated with blood or a wound.

-I have had the best luck with blue kote (also available at feed store/TSC). It is basically an antiseptic that stains the area blue. I only use this if there is a small, scabbed over wound. I wouldn't apply it to a large or open area. *It will also stain YOU blue!*

With both of these solutions, you DO have to CONTINUE to apply the product. The pine tar comes off easily if birds tend to take lots of dust baths. The Blue Kote will last a little longer.

This is a decent article with some solutions, and possible causes of pecking (boredom, space, etc.) : http://www.plamondon.com/faq_healthcare.html again, if you run a search on here you'll probably find lots of answers! [​IMG]

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Thanks KeliV
    I think they peck at his comb because it is shinny, doen't have the dull apperance of a normal comb.
    I have some blue kote and will try that.
    He is a great rooster, no problem to pick up.
    again thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by