Hens pecking the rooster, also white black spots on combs but not fowl pox? Pic link added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QueenPeppermint, Mar 10, 2012.

1. QueenPeppermint

QueenPeppermint Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Hi, new here. I have eleven hens and one roo. They are all the same age and have been free range raised together since chick hood. My mom noticed our roo has been looking stressed lately and we had been keeping an eye on him for a few days. Yesterday my mom freaked and started yelling for me because the poor guys feet and legs were dripping blood. We covered his legs in Blue Kote last night. This morning my mom witnessed the hens cannibalizing on him deapite the fact that the Blue Kote is supposed to help stop that.

Here is now seperated from the hens in my dogs run and is about to get another coat of BK. Are they going to continue to peck at him even after he heals? Will they peck at each other? The whole idea makes me ill.

Also our chickens have a mystery thing going on with their combs. It starts of as a large white splotch then a black scab (but it doean't look like fowl pox, spots are flat with no warts) before it starts looking better then comes back. It's been going on for about four months and we'd thought it was from our mean rooster being violent since the spots nearly disappeared when we culled him but after two weeks it came back.

EDIT- Link to pics of combs added! I can't figure out how to add them directly on here using my phone..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77846365@N07/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am betting it is favus. Can you post some pics for us to see? Or you can look up favus here and tell us if that is what you are seeing.

3. QueenPeppermint

Mar 10, 2012
    Hi, I can try and get pics soon but they will be from my mobile so I dunno how they'll turn out. I looked up Favus and it looks similar but I dunno if that's it. Could be though..

4. QueenPeppermint

Mar 10, 2012
    I added a pic link with a few pics I took yesterday. It actually looks so much better than it did a few days ago so I'd say it's in the healing before getting bad again stage. One thing I noticed was when I picked up my Buff Orp. is that her scab was coming off but it hadn't healed..:(

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That doesn't really look like favus. If it is then it is the most mild case I have ever seen. There is an easy way to figure it out- treat it. You can treat it with an antifungal agent. You can find some at your local drugstore. It is called Lotrimin. You can get it in a cream or spray, just keep it out of their eyes. If it cleans up with treatment, then you know that's what you had.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by