Hens per Drakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Myra, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Myra

Myra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Hi-
    I have one peking female and one peking male (and 4 chickens). The drake has just become sexually active. So.....what is the ideal ratio for my pekins male-female-wise..............and if you feel I need more females then can it wait until the Spring so I can get day old ducklings or will my drake mate my female "bald" by then?

Thanks!

2. Myra

Myra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Help! Anyone have any advice for me?

3. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    i think it depends on the duck, i have two males and three females.. one of the males is pretty darn horny and tries to mate with me(yes me lol) and one other of the females, my other male is not as aggressive with his habits and only mates once and a while compared to him..
    my horny little guy, Piper hasnt made any of my females bald as of yet. i think your ducks will be fine until spring...usually 1-3 females per male is good i've heard but dont quote me on this [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    I understand the ratio should be 3 hens per drake. Unfortunately by the time spring baby ducks are old enough it will be in the fall of next year, probably. This spring may be rough on her. I'm not an expert by any means. Any chance you can find some a little older? I know Holderreads is selling adult ducks but the shipping may be tough on the pocketbook. There are BYC members across the country & I know some were looking for local buyers. What state are you in? Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by