Hens per Nest Box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by audiomilk, Feb 10, 2013.

1. audiomilk

audiomilk Chillin' With My Peeps

Just curious, I've got 5 nest boxes, I will have 5 hens; what is the maximum number of hens I could have for the five nest boxes. Lastly, how many roosters could one have without much problems?

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    With 5 hens I wouldn't want more than one rooster.

You can certainly have 3 hens per nest box, although I've seen higher density. You don't want them to have to wait in line. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    They will still wait in line. [​IMG] When the first one lays in the morning then they all want that one hen box. [​IMG] SILLY CHICKENS!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    So true. Except I have one, who is often the first of the day, who wants to try out the different boxes for size. She sits in one for a while, then moves to another... [​IMG]

5. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    They will do that too!!! And also, 2 will try to get in one box. Sit on each other. It's like crazy girls, there 2 boxes open. Give me a break. [​IMG] And sometimes the dominate females want a certain box, I just think because another gil is in there is all, will pull them out by the backs of there necks. All I can do is shake my head at them. But at the end of the day they all lay. So!! Best thing is to just walk away and let them figure it out.

Not stealing your thread. This may actually be funny, but these are things you might see and think you need more boxes. But you really don't. There just chickens being chickens. A good number is 3/4 chickens per box. [​IMG]

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Yeah 3-4 chickens per nest is usually what I see suggested. I have 4 nests set up for my hens and they all only lay in 1 nest. I have seen four hens pushing and shoving in the same nest trying to be the next one to lay in it... All the while the rest of the boxes sit there empty and forlorn. [​IMG] Silly critters!

7. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    I have two boxes but my 6 share one. They will stand in line for it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  8. Dean W

Dean W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    That is so true. I built 10 nest boxes for my chickens and they all seem to prefer the same nest.[​IMG]

9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    They always want the same box, but put more out and try putting golf balls in boxes, then the hens will think other hens are laying there. golf balls work good for egg eaters too because once they peck a golf ball they don't want to peck anymore.

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Mine are hilarious! I have 4 hens with six boxes. They ALL lay in the same box. If one gets desperate I might find an egg in the box next the The Favorite. Cracks me up but makes gathering eggs easy. :rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by