Hens picked Roo's toe bloody! What do i do now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhen, Mar 16, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    While we were checking the flock today we noticed blood on ones beak...so we grabbed her to check for injury..then we noticed that alot of them had blood on their beaks....so, we started to check eveyone out...my worst fear has come true, they are now cannibals! [​IMG] My rooster must have injured his toe and it bled and then they went to town on him...[​IMG]..i brought him inside and put betadine on it and triple antibiotic cream and 2 bandaids. So, now what do i do? keep him inside? (he is quite a bit smaller then most of my hens, he's a silkie/polish mix.) Will they continue to peck him? if i keep seperated for a few days, will they accept him back in the flock? and will my hens continue to be cannibals?? do i need to cull them?? [​IMG]

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    As long as he's inside on clean newspaper I wouldn't bandage. You don't want to lock in any bacteria that could cause infection to the bone. I think the Betadine (diluted to an amber color - too strong kills the tissues) and a thin layer of ointment should be fine. As for your hens, hopefully they were just stimulated by the blood, and once the problem is cleared up with his foot, they'll forget all about it. When you reintroduce him to the flock, I'd separate him within the hens' space, and allow them to hang out together without actually being together for a couple days. Good luck.

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Well said redhen!
    Did he get picked on before this incident? If not then it was just the sight of blood that attracted them and they weren't trying to hurt him.I would say after it heals and you reintroduce him and he's still getting bullied (give it a week or so unless it's getting bad) then he will need to be in a pen of his own.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks for the advice guys...no, he wasnt getting picked on before this..he is the only roo i have and he was "the man"...and he knew it too. [​IMG] hes having a fit right now because hes away from his girlies...he's always so gentle with them..a he has a couple favorites that follow him around all day long. [​IMG] ..and the ones i found the blood on their beaks are my older more dominat bigger girls...i think i may need a bigger roo to keep them ladies in line! [​IMG] i sure hope i dont have a bunch of killer hens now though.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by