hen's pickig at rooster's feet??/

nicoe

Songster
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
oklahoma
I have 2 roosters and about 25 hens... The hens are about 6 months old and also one of the roosters. The other rooster is a couple years old and the hens are picking at his feet making them bleed? I put him off by hisself.
What should i do ?? What could be the problem?
thanks nicoe

I WAS ALSO TOLD I COULD POUR OIL ON HIS FEET BECAUSE THEY MAY BE DRY FROM THE COLD WEATHER??????????

I have no idea why they would be pecking at his feet, but maybe this will bump it up so someone who knows sees it.

If you can't find the answer, I'd consider putting pine tar on his feet/legs to keep him from getting pecked there. It's messy - but if you can't figure out anything else, it may work.

Penny

They might have been picking at an already existing injury. Keep him seperated and on clean bedding. You can use a 50/50 water/betadine `tea' in a spray bottle to clean wounds, then apply plain betadine ointment to the area (rub in good so it won't be attracting dirt). I'd probably keep him seperated until well scabbed over and try something like blukote for the picking. I'd avoid pine tar for feet because it will stick to everything he walks on.

Has anyone used liquid bandage for tops of feet?

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS .. SOMEONE ON HERE EARLER TOLD ME TO PUT VASILINE ON HIS FEET??? SO I DID THAT BUT I HAVE HIM BY HIM SELF. I WILL TRY SOME THING ELSE UNLESS YOU GUYS THINK VASILINE IS OK???

If there are open wounds on feet switch to plain neosporin after cleaning. They tend to pick at one another if bored or crowded. You can run a string through some peaches and hang them inside the run. Throw out some staw with some scratch (they like to dig around). Some folks use other fruits or veggies. Purina makes a Flock Block that is pretty handy (basically a big block of seeds, etc.).

Good Luck!

Last edited:
well i give them oranges and i just put straw in the run i have a feeder and i throw grains in the run?

I think citrus fruits (like oranges), raw potatoes and onions are potentially dangerous (have bad effects) on chickens. A couple handfuls of cracked corn or, better yet, Black Oil Sunflower seeds, are enough.

Ed: most table scraps are safe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom