Hens picking roosters feathers.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaybud, Dec 25, 2016.

1. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    So I'm open to any suggestions on how to stop my hens from picking my roosters tail feathers. He just came out of his molt and the only thing left to come back is his tail feathers. I looked him over and found that his tail feather shafts are covered in blood and the hens follow him around pecking them. Was thinking of creating some kind of box to cover his tail with vet wrap.

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Here's what I would recommend doing-
    1. Try Pick-No-More Lotion (http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Pick-No-More-Lotion-4-oz-p389.aspx)
    2. If that doesn't work, I would try Hot Pick Anti-Picking Spray (http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Hot-Pick-Anti-Picking-Spray-4-oz-p1001.aspx)
    3. If that still doesn't work, she's probably doing it out of stress, so I would try to fix that problem. Here are some things that could be causing stress, and here are some ways to fix them-

Not enough space- give them more space
    Not enough feed and water containers to go around- put out more
    Not enough nesting boxes- add another
    Worms, parasites, lice, etc.- treat medically
    Not enough protein in their diet can sometimes make them behave like that- add more protein to diet

If you try all of these things, and she still behaves like this, talk to me again, and I'll help you from there.
    Good luck!
    -Ameraucanas

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Definitely could be a protein deficiency. I use bluekote. I release the bird while it's still wet so those aggressive pickers get a taste of it. Repeat as necessary. Otherwise he might have to be separated out to heal for a bit.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

During the molt I put my Birds on grower feed...Feathers are protein........

Yes, put Blu-kote on his tail and keep him in a look no touch pen for a week.....

Best of luck..

Cheers!

5. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    I will give the blue kite spray a try today and see how it goes. As far as my flock itself I free range my birds on a 1/4 acre property and feed them purina flock grower raiser. Plenty of water and feed spread out the yard. So I wouldn't think there would be any reason for the birds to be stressed but I may be wrong.

6. chickens really

I am in Canada an no such thing as an all flock feed...Grower is higher in protein....

If lacking in protein feather pecking and eating starts.....

Cheers!

7. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    I like the purina flock raiser feed for the 20% protein in it. Wouldn't think they would need anymore protein then that.

8. chickens really

Yeah, that is fine.....I do not know the brand.....

Cheers!

9. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca

10. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by