1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens plucking roosters tail feathers out.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mistybalsdon, Mar 10, 2014.

1. mistybalsdon

mistybalsdon New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    When we bought our juvenile chickens, 2 hens and 1 rooster. We noticed that the rooster didnt have many feathers on his butt the lady said the hens had been caged and was bored and plucking his feathers but would stop as soon as they were free to roam. That was 4 months ago and they are still peaking his feathers. They are starting to lay eggs now and we are hoping to have some babies but dont think the rooster gets close enough to the hens due to the plucking. Any help we can get is greatly appreciated.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Try upping their protein. Give them things to do, like putting a pile of hay in for them to scratch in. Do they have a good amount of space? Bad habits die hard. if all else fails, put some pine tar on his rump, let them get a taste of that, ICK!

3. mistybalsdon

mistybalsdon New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    We did buy them some different food to add to what the already get and we put all our leaves and such as well as a bale of hay in both their outside and inside areas. The rooster seems to find fun in chasing the birds that land in their pin, but the hens peck him every time he stands still for too long. Thank you will definitely try the pine tar

4. JerseyGlove

JerseyGlove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    It looks like my jersey g roo has had all his tail feathers plucked out. I also found what appeared to be a broken segment of a feather in the coop.. Could it be melting or are the hens doing this to him? Help!

5. JerseyGlove

JerseyGlove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Omg I meant MOLTING HAHA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by