Hens plucking Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenweirdo, Jun 5, 2012.

1. chickenweirdo

chickenweirdo Hatching

Jun 5, 2012
    My situation is extremely bad. My hens continually pluck my roosters feathers! And it isn't like they eat one or two feathers. They pluck the top feathers, the down feathers, the tail feathers, neck feathers, even the wing feathers! When there are no more feathers, they make the roosters bleed. The first batch of hens that did this, we got rid of. So we started with fresh hens. And they did the same thing! I mean, i used to really love my hens, but this is too much! We have given them a protein block, we let them out to graze, they have a big coop, and we feed them scraps. Please do not suggest getting rid of the roosters because they are the only reason i have chickens! They are the smartest animals alive, i swear! My only thing i can guess is mites. They get them all the time! I clean out their pen, I try to keep them clean, but nothing is working! PLEASE help! My roosters are featherless :(

2. chickenweirdo

chickenweirdo Hatching

Jun 5, 2012
    And also, none of the hens are being plucked.

3. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Songster

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I would replace the hens with a more docile breed, but definitely seperate the roosters from the hens until the roosters grow back feathers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: