1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens possibly ate mushrooms growing in grass...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandiegochick, Oct 24, 2009.

1. sandiegochick

sandiegochick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Washington
    It's been raining a ton here and little mushrooms have been popping up here and there in the yard. I let the girls out to free range for a little while and found them by some of the mushrooms. Is this a problem?? I know that they are toxic to humans...

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It depends on what kind of mushroom it is. A very few mushrooms are actually toxic and even fewer are toxic enough to kill. Most plants and fungi have a really funky taste to animals as a defense mechanism that tells the animal that they shouldn't eat it. If they were acting like it tasted good, they will probably be ok. See if you can get a sample of the mushroom from the yard and look it up online to be sure.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine have "tasted" the mushrooms growing all over this place - we have had lots of rain and have cows.
    They usually don't take a second bite and the first bite hasn't hurt them yet.

4. sandiegochick

sandiegochick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Washington
    Thanks for your replies! The girls seem fine and they seemed to steer clear of the mushrooms today.

Thanks!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:OOh, you get the goood kind of shrooms...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by