Hens protecting each other or what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoCal Chick, Dec 22, 2012.

1. SoCal Chick

SoCal Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Bullhead City, Arizona
    I have one each of Barred Rock and Cookoo Maran hens. Funny thing, when one is laying an egg the other stands in the run and makes a loud cackling until the other is done laying her egg. At first I thought it was the "egg song" and the layer was in extreme pain, but I happened to be there when it started and found the "cackler" at the gate to their run. I think it is a protective behavior, but if I open the gate the "cackler" will run out of the pen. I tried to attach a recording, but couldn't. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this behavior.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's the 'cheer leader' celebration behavior.

3. SoCal Chick

SoCal Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Bullhead City, Arizona
    I've never heard of that behavior . As long as it isn't agressive.

You learn something everyday!

Thank you and Happy Holidays

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I have a hen who will do this when another hen is on the favorite nest wanting to lay and she wants the nest. This particular hen will watch and wait only so long before loosing patience and then suddenly burst into the I-laid-an-egg song before the hen on the nest has even accomplished the deed or made a sound herself. Always seems to me like she is doing the only thing she knows how to make the situation hurry along so she can have the nest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by