1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens pushing eggs under them while laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenshiha, Jun 16, 2016.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    All my hens when they need to lay there eggs in the box I leave some eggs or fake eggs in the box so they go broody but they push the eggs under them selves I thought they would be broody but they lay an egg and stay a bit then they get of samething happens everyday for a week do they want to go broody or what?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Funny cause my hens do the same things. They will pull the golf balls underneath them when they lay.... but haven't gone broody yet. Hopefully in summer.[​IMG]

3. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Hopefully for both I'm desperate for chicks and I only like broody hens hatched chicks I can't stand those incubators

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not all hens go broody.
    Some breeds are known for broodiness. In my experience it will happen in their second year. After they mature and moult.

5. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Today I took an egg out and put it on the floor 2 hens were fighting for it I got another one and they just pushed it under them and sat but the fight I took the eggs I don't want it to break this happened this afternoon the 2 did not lay and one of them kept going in and out on the eggs in the box this morning and making noise soft noise but no puffing up right now I they are asleep on the roosts?

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Got nothing to do with broody, just Typical Chicken Behavior.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You will know you have a Broody hen when it finally happens..Yours are not ready yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by