Hens quality of life. Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saraiquimby1, Mar 3, 2017.

1. saraiquimby1

saraiquimby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I have an ISA brown hen that is 1 year old. She got hung up in the fence last week and dislocated/displaced her leg. I've had her inside by herself for a week and haven't seen much improvement. She isn't laying anymore (she did the first two days inside). She's eating decently and drinking well. She doesn't seem too stressed, but she can't walk. She just lays it stands al[​IMG]
    l day long with the hurt leg raised. She will hop maybe 4 steps and that's it.
    Is it fair to keep her alive for a few weeks and see if the leg will heal? She isn't even trying to use it. I just don't know what to do. I have X-rays from work but we don't do chickens so I can't fix her lol
    I guess I just need some advice.
    Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    I'm so sorry about your hen, and wish I could help. I've never dealt with this, but would it be a difficult fix if you found an avian vet that would help you? I don't think a dislocation can heal on its own. I've seen posts about "just popping" something back into place, after massage, maybe. I would not be brave enough to try it, myself. I would ask an avian vet if they can do it.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you work for a vet, I would ask them to experiment on her, and try to reduce the leg with your permission. They do it for dogs and cats, so there shouldn't be a lot of difference. Then splint it, checking it daily to make sure that it isn't too tight. Aspirin 81 mg or meloxicam for inflammation and pain. Otherwise she may not ever walk properly. Chicken slings help with getting them up and out of their droppings, but since this looks like a dislocation, I would try reduction and splinting first. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving her a chance to get better even without fixing the leg, as long as you have time to give the extra care. You would be amazed at what some BYCers do to help out their animals.
    This is a good splinting reference to read through if you haven't seen it, and it will tell you how succcessful treatments can be on various bones, but it is for birds:
    https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I was reading your other thread about her, which I had seen a few days ago, and saw that your friend thinks the tendons are damaged. Do they feel that trying traction or reducing the dislocation would work, or do they think that if her tendons heal, the bones will become more aligned? You can always try a chicken sling on her to get her upright to help rest the leg. They always seem to be happier and eat better if they are with other chickens for company. A large wire crate with a sling from the top might work, if it will fit in your coop. Place food and water close enough to reach. Here are a few of the homemade slings below:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by