Hens quickly losing weight before death - any ideas?

mountainchickens

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Colorado
Hi! It's been a while since I've posted here, but unfortunately we have a problem. Over the past few months three of our year-old hens have passed away in the same way. 😭 They start losing weight very quickly, become feather-light, then die after 2-4 weeks. As far as I can tell, they've eaten and drunk normally until very close to the end. One started having a kind of seizure just before it passed away, devastating. Any ideas as to what it could be? Another hen is losing weight and I want to stop this from continuing. Thank you so much!!

This might be due to lymphoid leucosis. If another hen dies you might want to send her in for necropsy to now for sure what caused all these deaths.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27486255/

When did you last de-worm your hens? And did their droppings have normal consistency or were they suffering from diarrhea?

Thank you!! Yes, a necropsy would definitely be the next course of action if she died. I actually don't think we've ever de-wormed so that's very plausible. The first two hen's droppings were pretty runny, the third and this one so far are normal.

I use Flubenole 5% (Flubendazole) but Safeguard liquid goat dewormer should serve just as well.

In case she dies you could send her in for necropsy which would be helpful with regard to your other and future hens.

Back
Top Bottom