Hens quit laying!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChikeeMomma, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Well, I had been given 4 Isa Brown pullets (about 5 months old). I have had them for two weeks now. They were a welcome addition to my BO hen, BR hen, Australorp hen, and EE rooster. The Isa Browns layed well for the first week, but now have stopped. Now they came from a friend who had no rooster -- so not used to rooster advances, which he does!! And I have all my chickens on Duramycin for their cold symptoms (under the advice of wonderful chicken lady, miss_jayne). Everybody was acting fine, but they were sneezing and snotty sounding. The chickens have been on it for 5 days now and sounding better! They are on a layer mash, which the local feed store mixes up. This layer mash is supposed to have more protein (I think 18%, compared to 16%). Or do they just need a little more time to adjust to new surroundings? Any ideas? Oh, and sooo excited about my 5 EE pullets(8 weeks old) from miss_jayne. Just had to add that in there.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I really think they need some time to adjust - when we got our first 6 hens they layed like mad for a few days, almost like they had a supply to get rid of then stopped for about two weeks.

3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Okay, that's what I was hoping/thinking, too. Everybody seems to have accepted the Isa Browns (no pecking going on) okay. So that's a relief.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by