Hens quit laying ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Chicks, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Chicken Chicks

Chicken Chicks New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    Hi All,
    Just found this forum and i'm excited to talk Chicken !
    Sorry if these are repeat questions so please be patient with me. We live in Arizona , i have 24 hens and my egg production has dropped, i have some older hens and 10 around 1 yr old, i was getting at least a dozen or more before summer , but once it hit 110 here alot of them quit laying,which i understand that, but once it got cooler here they started laying again then they just almost stopped, i get 4-6 a day, they free range , but do have nesting boxes in their chicken coop they lay in, i have also noticed alot of feathers laying on the ground,was wondering what's going on with them, thought they would only do that during summer time ? I also noticed their egg shells are thin ? Is there something i could be feeding them, maybe something in their diet ? I have also talked to others here in Arizona that are having the same problem, maybe the crazy weather here ? Can't figure out if it want's to be cold or hot ? Any help i would appreciate ,
    Thank you and look forward to hearing from you all

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    sounds like they might be molting --- they usually molt at 1 year old ... it is expected that they stop laying eggs while they are molting

i'm not an expert on the subject --- mine are only 7 months old

3. Chicken Chicks

Chicken Chicks New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    thats what i was thinking, but i thought that was only in the summer time ?

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    This is the time of year for molting. They lose their old feathers and grow in beautiful new ones. It's a pretty stressful procedure, so they usually stop laying during the molt. It's perfectly normal.

As far as the thin eggshells, I give my girls oyster shell for extra calcium to keep their eggs nice and hard. I just pour it out on the ground for them. Some folks have a much nicer system than that! [​IMG]

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    We posted at the same time! LOL

I did have some birds that molted in late summer. And I have some that are molting now. Just depends on the individual hen, I guess.

6. Chicken Chicks

Chicken Chicks New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    I'm Glad to hear that is normal for this time of year, i thought i was doing something wrong, i will try feeding them the shells, i did see them at the feed store,
    Thanks for your help !

7. logan

logan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2009
    yeah molt or just try to put a light in the hen house.

8. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:extra protein is good for them too

9. sephiroth

sephiroth Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    I feed back crushed egg shells to my chickens for added calcium...

10. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I have 3 Wyandottes that started molting a few weeks ago. They haven't been laying for the last few weeks, but they are starting to feather out & are looking better every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by