Hens raising hatchery chicks

Melisse

Hatching
Aug 16, 2016
Pfafftown, North Carolina
I have had backyard chickens for 13 years. After 12, I took a break for a few years and have been back for a year. I have heard that you can put chicks under a broody hen and she will raise them. My hens have always hatched their own, but I am ordering chicks from a hatchery cause I couldn't find the breeds I wanted around here. One hen hatched chicks about 5 weeks ago and still goes in the nest box with some of them at night. Can I give her the new ones at night and have her accept them?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great to hear you are now back into keeping chickens. As your hen has been raising chicks for the last 5 weeks I would think she will not accept new chicks right now. You can usually get away with adding chicks under a broody hen when she is still sitting or when any chicks have just hatched. For me personally adding new ones to her now would be a risk.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

I was thinking that too but I guess I needed to hear somebody else say it.
1f615.png
was hoping to let her do the work instead of me.

I agree, I think it would be very risky to add new chicks to her. Besides her chicks are old enough to not need her, she could be dumping them any day now.

Back
Top Bottom