Hens refuse to lay!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ldgreene9, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Ldgreene9

Ldgreene9 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2014
    Cameron, Tx
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on a thread since I have just become a member recently. I have many hens that will not lay. I have 8 golden sex link hens,5 rhode island red hens, and a couple other good laying hens all equaling up to around 20 hens. I have lights running 24/7, they have laying nests and box's, laying pellets, clean water, and feed all day. I have just recently all moved them into a big open enclosed area and am not sure if the stress of just being moved into that area is causing them not to lay. I have only have one hen that is laying an egg a day. It is a little white egg and I can never figure out what has laid it because she never sits on it. I am fairly new to raising birds. If anyone could help me out a little bit on this, I would really appreciate it!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Lights can't be on 24/7. Just like all earthbound animals, they need hemeral lighting, a daily light and dark period.
    24/7 lights will make them crazy, stressed and could actually cause the lack of eggs.

A hen that isn't broody won't sit on an egg once it is laid.

The move is stressful, further delaying egg laying.
    The white egg is from one of the "other good laying hens", possibly leghorn.

Kill the lights. After they get used to normal day/night periods, you can slowly increase the day length to about 14 hours over the course of a couple weeks.

More info for you
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/450/several-reasons-why-your-hens-may-stop-laying-eggs

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  3. Ldgreene9

Nov 30, 2014
    Cameron, Tx
    All of the birds are not locked inside the coop. They can get out and roam around in an open area that has a net covering it so they can not get out. The only place where lighting is on all day is inside the laying house. I have 2 heat lamps running and a flood light at the top.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    WELCOME TO BACKYARD CHICKENS!![​IMG]

I too have struggled with learning all about these hens and their schedules. Still learning[​IMG]

Can you post a pic of their set up? Some of the issues to watch for is

Do they have adequate space?

Do you have roosters?

Are any of the hens super aggressive?

You mentioned they have light, food and water 24/7. Food and water 24/7 is great. Light however, I think maybe the chickens need some rest. I only have a small light on mine due to electric issues, but as a rule of thumb, chickens need 14 hours of daylight to produce an egg. Hope this helps. Let us know if we can help you further.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    As I said, lose the light and the heat lamps. Chickens don't need heat. They need a normal light dark cycle.

6. Ldgreene9

Nov 30, 2014
    Cameron, Tx
    I will do the stuff y'all recommend and will get pictures up maybe this afternoon! I'm a senior in high school so I'm suppose to be doing homework right now! Thanks! [​IMG]

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Well then, go do your homework![​IMG] I am very glad to see younger folks like yourself interested in farming. Please let us know if you need anything further. Take care.

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Ditch the lighting and heat lamps. How old are these birds? You say they aren't locked in the coop - you do lock them up at night I hope?

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    This isn't so much about your hens "refusing" to lay as it is some rather well-intentioned but misguided practices that are having very normal and natural outcomes.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  10. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    Turn off that flood light as a start. With that bright-light interrogation going on 24/7 inside the coop, they could be seriously stressed out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by