Hens/Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babieecakz, Jul 25, 2014.

1. babieecakz

babieecakz Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]th/200/height/400[/IMG]
    Almost 3 months old & no crowing as of yet. Trying to figure out which ones might be Roos & which might be hens. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Well most of them look like pullets.The white 1 with black on it is a cockeral.The top picture is a pullet(Maybe).I say maybe because if he had a red comb like the whit one that's a sign.Roosters that are young start growing a dark red comb and dark red wabbles.Pullets normally don't have combs forming if they do its not dark red.I pretty for sure that the dominque or plymoth rock is a hen.She doesn't have the feathering nor the body looking/fatness.The white 1 which I believe is a banty?Is a rooster possibly.Its pretty,big and,has a large comb and a pretty large rooster body.I'm not gonna say they ARE rooster because you never know.Have you saw any fighting?also the orange 1 might be a rooster.They sure do look my newhamp hen though.But that's bad.The all white 1 is a pullet and the speckled hen is too.So possibly three roosters and two hens.The picture down by the 1 under the barred rock or the dotted hen.See the 1 in the corner may be a rooster.You best luck is to grab a sexing book.So 4 of them may be rooster.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At almost 3 months, pretty much any bird with a red comb is going to be a rooster. First barred bird is male, bottom left pic has two roosters and one pullet (the bird in the front) , third pic has a white pullet and two cockerels. Can't see the other bird well enough to say.

4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I see 5 cockerels if their all only 3 months!

5. babieecakz

babieecakz Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Thanks everyone! Troy4, I've not seen or heard any fighting. They all seem to get along as if right now. Also, thanks for the suggestion of the books, I'll get on that so maybe I can get a better idea & find a good home for the Roos since I can't have them in the city.

6. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Your welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by