Hens *rooster* loosing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cici_p, Aug 18, 2010.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    I just searched the forum but couldn't find a good answer to my questions. I have 8 hens and one rooster. They free range during the day and come in to an enclosed stall at night. The last couple of weeks they have all developed bare spots. I realize that chickens molt, but this seems to be more than molting. The bare spots seem red and irritated and are often in the joint areas, such as where the wings join the body, or in their "arm pits." I have picked up several and checked for lice/mites, but don't see any bugs or bug eggs on them. The rooster has some of these bare spots as well so I don't believe he is the culprit. Right now I am leaning towards treating for lice/mites, but I don't see any evidence other than the bare skin. Any other thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Christy

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Have you poultry dusted each of them and then cleaned and poultry dusted their enclosure recently? When you dust them, make sure to do underneath the wings and everywhere else but don't get it in their eyes or on their faces. Work it in with your fingertips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by