1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens screeching early morning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fluffhead, Feb 15, 2008.

1. fluffhead

fluffhead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2007
    Berkeley, CA
    Ever since one of my hens started laying (about 2 weeks ago), both of my previously-quiet hens are very loud in the morning. I keep them in an 8' tractor at night, and then release them into a 10x20' pen during the daytime (and our open backyard when we are home). As soon as first light hits, the hens are no longer content to be in the tractor. Both of them screech as if there is a predator (buk buk buk BAAAACAAWWWW!!) until I run outside in my bathrobe. This morning, even letting them out didn't stop the 6am screeching.

I am really worried over this, as we have neighbors in very close proximity who are definitely being woken up. These girls are as loud as my rooster was (he lives elsewhere now).

Should I maybe just leave them out 24/7 in the larger open pen (they put themselves into their nesting boxes at night)? They would be far more vulnerable to predators, but I think I've done as best I can to secure the area.

Ugh. I am going to give myself an ulcer here!

Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's normal... they are getting used to the hen thing. They should calm down once they get the whole girl thing down. Either that or they learned making a rukus = freedom.

If the run is not secure, I'd keep them cooped up for the night.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:They should be roosting at night - not sleeping in the nest boxes.

My girls seem to make more noise in the early afternoon - well one girl in particular - not sure why she does it, perhaps she's just HAPPY I don't have a clue.

4. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    mine do it when laying eggs [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mine are noisy before they lay, I guess they are announcing the urge to lay. Then they hop into the coop and there is silence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by