Hens seezing and coughing but no other symptoms still normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyboutchickenfamily, Jul 25, 2011.

1. crazyboutchickenfamily

crazyboutchickenfamily Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    :cdWe got 3 hens. They are eating,drinking and laying eggs just like normal. They have no discharge from anywhere and their poop looks normal. I feel like I need to get to the bottom of this because we have other chickens. We have those 3 seperate from all the others. We have had these girls for a week. I have given them the Nutri-drench for poultry. I gave it to them directly like it said. It didn't really help all that munch. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You might want to treat these 3 hens with some antibiotics like Agrimycin which works good for respiratory aliments. I would keep them separate from your flock for now and it they begin to get runny noses and such, definitely start on some antibiotics. It is possible that they are allergic to something in your environment that the rest of your flock is immune to already.

3. crazyboutchickenfamily

Mar 15, 2011
    Well I got up this morning and went to check on the girls. I noticed one of them was making a gurgling noise as if she was conjested. There is still no drainage or discharge anywhere and the sneezing isn't as much. I think that might have something to do with the weather because it's a little cooler this morning. I am debating on the deneguard or tylan 50. I just don't want to give them the wrong thing. All our animals are part of our family and I want to do what's best for them. Thanks for all the suggestions![​IMG][​IMG]:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would go ahead and start the antibiotics. Chickens should never be congested, even with the weather. Better safe then sorry. Add some probiotics into their feed to help beef up the good flora that will be lost during the treatments. [​IMG]

5. poonam

poonam Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    I have some new chickens that have been sneezing, and i'm not totally sure what a chicken gurgling sounds like, but i think that's what mine are doing as well. The adults have been struggling but pulling through, and one of the little ones just passed. The necropsy said Mycoplasma. The suggested medication on this forum is denagard or tylan (denegard preferred). Baytril is the choice if you have it somehow or if there's a vet in the picture.

6. crazyboutchickenfamily

Mar 15, 2011
    I know that this is going to sound completely crazy. I was reading about respiratory diseases and when I read about quail bronchitis it sounds identical to what's going on with my girls. Now the question is can a hen get this disease if where you got them from they also raise quail too? There is still no discharge out the nostrils or from the mouth when they cough. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by