Hens seezing and coughing but no other symptoms still normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyboutchickenfamily, Jul 25, 2011.

1. crazyboutchickenfamily

crazyboutchickenfamily Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    :cdWe got 3 hens. They are eating,drinking and laying eggs just like normal. They have no discharge from anywhere and their poop looks normal. I feel like I need to get to the bottom of this because we have other chickens. We have those 3 seperate from all the others. We have had these girls for a week. I have given them the Nutri-drench for poultry. I gave it to them directly like it said. It didn't really help all that munch. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.[​IMG]

2. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    This is my question today too. This is going around with my hens as well. No other symptoms other than the sneezing and coughing. They are very energetic, laying eggs, eating well, drinking, calm, talkative. Normal as it can be. I bought some duramycin but am hesitant to start because of side effects, not being able to use eggs, resistance build up, etc. Also, because I'm just not sure what it is. I was told, dust, amonia build up, smoke, pollen, etc. I can't find any effects in the environment to bring this on.

3. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I won't worry about them too much because if they are acting normal they probably aren't too ill. Are the 3 new chickens? Are your orginal chickens vaccinated?
    If these are both yes's it maybe that the new chickens aren't vaccinated so when they came in contact with your 3 chickens they caught something from them that can't effect them since they are vaccinated. It will be probably just go in time. I won't bother getting the new ones vaccinated as the vaccine doesn't do much for them and its a waste of money! Chickens are strong, tough things so they will probably pull through it. If anything else developes and you are worried its best to get them checked out at the vets.
    Hope they get through it and hope this helps.
    Daisy. xx

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If it's not environmental, it's a respiratory disease. Good job keeping them seperated from your other chickens because it will spread. There are many respiratory diseases, here's a link to go to see which one best matches your symptoms. It sounds like it might be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) You would need a blood sample examined to see which disease it is, in some cases a necrosy performed.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Antibiotics may treat the symptoms, but wont cure the disease. They will be carriers all their lives and the risk of spreading the disease will always be there. If you decide not to cull, I recommend denegard. It is for swine, but can be used for chickens. There is no withdrawal, no resistance to it. It can be purchased from QC Supply. Type "denegard" in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish. I've read alot of good things about it.

5. crazyboutchickenfamily

crazyboutchickenfamily Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    The 3 chickens are vaccinated and yes they are new. I have kept them in a seperate pen across the yard from everything else and I can move my pen around so they are not in the same spot everyday either. I was thinking that if they pooped put any germs it wouldn't be under them and near anything else. These are actually my husband's chickens he got for his birthday and he really loves them. They are Gold laced cochins. We got a rooster for them from the same place and a few other chickens a few weeks ago. None of the others are doing this and all of them are vaccinated. Thanks everyone for your ideas so far.

Owners of 4 rabbits 3 queensland heelers 2 bantam cochins 5 gold laced cochins 3 orpingtons 1 austrolorp 2 blue laced red wynadottes 4 mallards horses and mules:D

6. nurseamc

nurseamc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Cabarrus County, NC
    I had 4 hens with the same symptoms. We started them on Tylan 50 for 5 days. It appears to have knocked out whatever it was. The antibiotics will work if it's bacterial...but if your birds have a virus, it won't do anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by