Hens set on eggs all day long but roost in rafters at night????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hudson, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Hudson

Hudson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    My hens are 16 months old and one hen sets all day long but goes up and roosts in the rafters at night. Will the eggs still hatch? I live in Georgia and it has been close to 100 degrees during the day and in the mid 80's-high 80's at night. If a hen sets all day long day long does she know if the eggs are alive or is she just doing this based on instinct? Thanks for any info. this is my first full summer with my chickens being full grown, still learning the ropes. They are Rhode Island Reds.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Do you have roosters? I don't think your hen is broody, or she would not leave the nest. I have seen hens sit on a nest to hide from roosters, though. Or maybe they are faking like they are broody, to get the roosters to leave them alone?

3. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    yes, once your hen has committed to set on the eggs (ie a real broody), she will not leave the nest except for the occasional drink/eat/poop. Your hen is not considered broody if she's roosting in the rafters. She's just teasing you [​IMG]. But dont count her out yet- she may just not be ready, but is toying with the idea. In the meantime, take the eggs, they will not hatch. You will know she's committed when she doesnt leave the nest at night, and pecks at your hands when you try to get a look at her eggs. Good luck!

4. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    wanted to add that I have yet to see a RIR go broody- I think the best luck you'll have are with banties of any kind, especially cochins and silkies. In my limited experience of keeping chickens (3+ years), the only breed Ive had actually hatch out eggs for me were banties.

5. Hudson

Hudson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    I do have one rooster but he seems to get along well with the ladies. He is not as aggresive as I have read that they can be. If anything he tends to be hen pecked by the hens, but he is protective of them and guards them and takes his job seriously.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

She could be hiding from one of the other girls, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by