Hens setting on eggs in hot weather

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gimmie birdies, Jun 13, 2019.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have 2 blue wyandotte hens sitting in 92 degree weather today (weather should come down to the 80's soon. I don't really need more chicks, but they were broody and I gave them some eggs.) I went to a health food store fridge and bought some eggs I knew were fertile. (The lady who owns the store has a farm one mile from my place, and she has 3 roosters, but I don't know how many hens, but a bunch. All kinds. Oh you might ask why I didn't go to her house to buy them, I have, but if I get them from the store, it is less intrusive.) So at home we ate 4 eggs and the hens got the other eggs, in separate lay boxes. 1 dark brown, 3 browns and the other hen got 3 blue, and one white. They are on day 4 and have the spider veins. I am not too worried they will hatch, I did set other eggs from the store lady before and they also hatched but that was earlier in the season. I do know she washed the bloom off the eggs, but if the eggs are going for it, great! The hens are in the chicken house with their own nest boxes they chose before the eggs came along, and they were broody for at least one month, they also have lots of shade, and breezes coming through.

.p.PNG

I thought since the weather is hot, and they are sitting, I wanted to hear about other people's broody hens and how they are doing in the heat.

2. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Songster

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    So they've been broody for a month and then you gave them eggs so they have to set for another three weeks?

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    :D Yup! HAHAHA! Thanks for asking!:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: