Hens setting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gamelife, Jan 21, 2012.

1. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Hey everyone my hens are starting to lay eggs like crazy and I'm can't wait for them to start setting. I was just a little curious if you guys have any hens setting this early in the year. I'm really excited about this years breeding program would like to hear if your girls have already gone broody. Thanks

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a broody that has some chicks that hatched out on Dec. 10th.

I know how my Ameraucanas are, I'll have another broody before long... but my problem is, I can't have a crowing rooster. [​IMG]

I guess from here on out, I'll let them be broody for two weeks and I'll buy them chicks.

3. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    That's pretty nice to do that Mahonri so she don't set for nothing.
    There's this one hen that has 12 eggs in her nest I am hoping she'll start setting soon.
    I really don't want to deal with the incubator this year.

4. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I have an australorp that is trying to get broody.She was a hatchery chicken that was hatched in June. I have had to pull her off the nest twice. I can't let her get broody here. The chicks would freeze. But you're probably nice and toasty over there on the west coast.

5. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    The weather has been strange here for the last month or so. A little warm for this time of year.
    Maybe that encouraged the hens laying. But today it's raining heavily, I hope it don't discourage
    them from setting as it will be raining for awhile according to the weather forecast. Just a little anxious [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by