1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens sharing chicks (pic added)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doramechicks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. doramechicks

doramechicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Dalton Gardens Idaho
    Ok so I had one broody hen(Wanda) who has been doing all the work and sitting on 12 eggs, they started to pip yesterday and another hen(Lucky) went into the nesting box right next to Wanda and would not leave all day yesterday and lastnight. Went to check on things this morning and there were 5 hatched chicks under Wanda and Lucky was still also sitting in the nest box right next to Wanda, tried to get her up she didn't want to & ran right back in there. Later today I go out and the chicks(now 10 of them) are running back and forth between the two hens and even going under Lucky, is this normal for them to be sharing chicks like this?

Wanda left & Lucky right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, while it's not the norm, it's not all that ABNORMAL for hens to share chicks. Honest!

Love the photo... thanks so much for sharing. [​IMG]

3. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    LOL! SO CUTE!!!! But poor Wanda, I think if you treat them, for raising the babies, you should always give Wanda double!! Look at Lucky just sitting there, getting all the chickey love and trying to NOT look guilty!!! HAHAHA [​IMG]

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    That is so sweet!!! I love it. I agree that Wanda should get double treats for all that work. [​IMG]

5. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Iive had this happen several time.althought the second hen helped sit them.
    Last year two cuckoo marans setting eggs next to each other............then they shared chicks,but at bed time the chicks
    went to the appropriate Mom to get tucked in.
    I currently have three hens sharing eggs and a fourth that sits the eggs for about an hour or so during the day when the others
    take care of business.........don't know what to e expect at hatch time.........[​IMG]
    Who needs TV..............

6. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:LOL, she does look like she's trying to not look guilty! This is SO cute!

7. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    I have 5 Buff orpington hens. One hatched 9 chicks. One of the others is what we call Mom 2, and now I believe all the others are taking turns being Aunts. (of course who knows which one are the biological moms [​IMG]

8. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Oh my gosh I LOVE this picture so much.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Arrangement cute to human eyes but far from ideal in respect to needs of chicks. Whens will have conflicts about where to go, when feed and when to brood. Chicks more likely to be trampled. When this occurs in my birds, survival rate of chicks lower than if raised by a single hen.

10. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Years ago I had 2 little reds that shared one nest. Between the 2 they hatched out about 18 chicks (oh, and 1 was a duckling!!). There never were any problems (except when the duckling discovered the pond!!), they just took care of them. Not necessarily together nor were the chicks evenly distributed between them at any given time. Then one day the hen the duckling was with wandered down by the pond and zooooommm ducky went straight into the water....that poor little hen about had a stroke!!! [​IMG] She stomped back and forth along the bank screaming and swearing like a fishwife for him to get out of there before he drowned. Li'l ducky just kept on swimming and eventually she gave up on him and went on. [​IMG] I thought I'd die laughing at her.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by