1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens side punctured from rooster spur!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by loveallanimals, Feb 22, 2015.

1. loveallanimals

loveallanimals Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    NH
    My 8 month old half bantam chicken has a large wound on her side. I think that it is from our rooster a large New Hampshire. She seems alert and is eating and drinking, how should I take care of it?

2. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    I had this happen to a couple of my hens, and they were so non-nonchalant about it that had I not been examining them for mites, I would not have ever seen it!

I had one that had a 2 1/2 inch gash in which I could see her muscle underneath. She ended up just growing new skin, while that which was ripped off, shriveled and fell off.

I think the best you can do is to clean the wound- like bring them inside and under the tub spigot with some warm to lukewarm water and wash it out as best you can. Dry it as best you can and then put some neosporin in the gash itself. Just want to make a note here that I heard one should never use any pain reliever on wounds on chickens that end in the suffix "caine". I think the neosporin with pain reliever is ok- I've used it on my hens many times. You could also do an epsom salt soak of the wound (might be difficult since the wound I presume is on her side) or use something like benedine, which is used to clean wounds. Personally I think the neosporin works well because it coats the wound- its not like chickens can lick it off like a cat or dog might do.

If you cover all the parts of the inner flesh with that, then you should be ok- unless they dust bathe. Really, I've had no problems with this, but you should watch for infection. Chickens are tough! (Until they are not!)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  3. chickens123432

chickens123432 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    you should spray some vetericyn on it! it really works

4. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Funny you should mention this, my girl had a gash similar in size to yours, tucked right up under her wing. It was only that I was dusting her for lice that I found it, and promptly freaked out!

The wound was obviously not fresh - it had sort of dried up and gone crusty and black-ish around the edges, but I could still see the breast muscle underneath. I presume it was done by the rooster whilst he was treading her. He is a Buff Orpington and very heavy.

I did nothing at the time - I figured why should I mess with something that was clearly in the process of healing itself. She seemed fine in all other ways so I just kept an eye on her, and she made a full recovery.

So yes, I think you're right. Chickens are tough little things, and seem to recover from injury better than illness in my experience.

Good luck @loveallanimals - I'm reckon your girl will be fine [​IMG]

- Krista

5. whysprs

whysprs New Egg

May 7, 2015
    southern Illinois
    we were given 9 hens and rooster last night and all the hens are "saddled" missing feathers and gashes from the roster sours im guessing.. would it be a good idea to de spur him?

6. Gomara1

Gomara1 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2015
    I put Neosporin and a band-aid on my girls! They heal so quickly!

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sounds like that is one of those roosters that need a lot more hens than the average 8 to 10. I think maybe getting your hens some aprons to help protect their backs would be a good start to solving the problem. But to solve it completely, either rehome the rooster, or get more girls.

8. whysprs

whysprs New Egg

May 7, 2015
    southern Illinois
    these were a rescue flock .. we have a flock of 12 that are about 8 weeks or so old but not old enough for him yet... i hate to get rid of him and wondered if de-spurring him would help at all

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Despurring might help, but it's temporary. The spurs will grow back by the time the younger girls are ready to join the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by