Hens Slacked off

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DommerDon66, Oct 25, 2008.

1. DommerDon66

DommerDon66 New Egg

Oct 25, 2008
    Hi.We are new to the forum. My husband has big stock chickens. About 2 or 3 days ago, they slacked off laying eggs. Is it the cold weather? Or the change in how much sunlight they are getting? We live in KY. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    It is probably because of both of those factors mine a slacking off also! I get only 2 or 3 eggs a day from 11 hens [​IMG] its fine I just had to stop selling eggs. My hens are also molting or loosing their feathers and growing new ones yours maybe doing the same.

Henry

3. DommerDon66

DommerDon66 New Egg

Oct 25, 2008
    Thanks. That's what I told my husband it probably is. We sell our eggs too. Hope we don't have to quit selling them.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    First of all, [​IMG]! It's nice to see all the new folks around here lately.

If you don't have electricity (to power a light) in your coop, your hens will probably stop laying all winter long.

What you probably need to decide is how much money it would cost to run electricity to your coop, how much it would cost to power a lightbulb (probably on a timer) out there, and if that would equal or be higher than the income/savings you get from having the hens lay eggs.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    People are complaining about it on all the chicken forums and places I go talking about poultry. Must be the weather/change in light, etc., etc.

Some of mine are moulting, too.

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Ugh, I know the feeling. I have 16 hens and am lucky to get 8 eggs day. I have solar lights outside, and I put one in the coop today. I was against giving the girls artificial light, but it looks like I'm going to have to.

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Welcome to the Fourm:[​IMG] I live in Bagdad ky (shelby county) Are you guys far from us.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] The weather, lighting and moulting , any and all can affect their laying. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by