Hens sleeping in net box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddyg84, Mar 20, 2013.

1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi, have had my hens about 1 week now. Just went to close them in for the night and found all four sleeping in one nest box which is only 12" by 12" by 18". Just worried that when they come to start laying they won't want to lay inthe nest box as they see this as somewhere to sleep.

2. Kitty990

Kitty990 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    how old are the hens? how many nesting boxes do you have in the coop? they might lay in another box but sleep in this one. do you know what the tempature is or is there a heat lamp in the coop? if they are cold they'll huddle together.

3. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    I have 4 hens, about 17 weeks old approx. temp outside this evening is about 1-2 degrees Celsius. About 34 degrees Fahrenheit. In there life they will have to get used to temps like this in winter/spring so no heat lamp other local hen keepers don't use heat lamps. There are 2 nest boxes

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    You need to "teach" them to use the Perch sometimes. They are likely sleeping like that because that is how they did it in the brooder. Pick each one up and put it on the roost. You will probably have to do that quite a few nights. If they keep sleeping in the nest box, they will poo in it and you will have to clean them every morning when they start laying.

Have fun with the new hens!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    Ah thanks, good idea will give it a go!

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    How are they doing?

7. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    Well temps are hovering around freezing and there is horizontal snow but they seem happy enough to run around outside. Went out last night to close them in for the night and again they were in a nest box together like sardines. I lifted them and put them on the perch and left them. This evening when I went to close them in for the night all four were on the perch sleeping. Your advice worked very quickly indeed. Thanks very much

8. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Your Welcome!

They may need to be put up there more times but they will figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by