Hens sleeping on the ground

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chefdkluke, Jul 8, 2010.

1. chefdkluke

chefdkluke Out Of The Brooder

Hello everyone, I'm sure it's been posted before, but with thousands of posts, I'm not sure I'll be able to read through them all.

Here's my situation; I have four hens, one will roost at night, but the other three sleep on the ground in the corner. I've tried putting them up on the roost at night, but they just jump down. What else can I do to get them to stay up there? Would it help to change the height of the roost?

2. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    yeah try different heights. But i wouldnt worry about it, some chickens just dont like to roost.

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I have all different heights, and I just checked the coop before bed.

Two are on the "high" roost - about 5' high (has a ramp to it). Four are on the temp "jail" that is covered - about 4' high. Five are on the little roost - about 18" high. The rest are on the ground in the corners. Each night, the usual suspects are in the usual places. All of the roosts are long/big enough for all of them to fit at one time if they chose, but they choose not I guess [​IMG]

4. chefdkluke

chefdkluke Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the input, they seem to be happy doing their thing, so I guess I'll let them be! Everyone says that the happy chickens lay the eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by