Hens sneezing, runny noses and rattling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reedycreekchick, Mar 5, 2017.

1. reedycreekchick

reedycreekchick Just Hatched

Oct 23, 2016
    New here! I have noticed my hens and roosters sneezing for a couple weeks. Now they have developed runny noses and some are rattling. Hens have just recently increased their egg production. They all act like they are okay, eating and drinking plenty. I have Duramycin on hand. At this point should I go ahead and dose them or wait it out? Also, if I dose them, how long should I dose them for? How long should I wait to eat eggs afterwards?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Duramycin (tetracycline) won't help if it is a virus, but could help if it is caused by MG (mycoplasma.) Respiratory diseases are brought into flocks by a carrier (bird or human) and they can be caused by viruses, mold fungus, or by bacteria. You have to look at their symptoms and compare them to the handful of diseases that are common. The rattling is a little worrisome, but keep an eye on it. If they are active, alert, eating, and drinking well, then I would hold off on antibiotics. Viruses, such as infectious bronchitis, will take around a month or more for symptoms of sneezing to go away. If you notice any foamy eyes or thick nasal drainage, or swelling of the face or eye, then start the antibiotics. Tylan 50 injectable, given orally or by injections, may be stronger for ones especially sick, who may not drink well. The most common diseases are infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis. Any of those can become more complicated with secondary infections. Here is a good article to scroll down and read about those disease symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  3. reedycreekchick

Oct 23, 2016
    Thank you Eggcessive for your response. Virus is what I am thinking since they are acting normal. But to my other questions....how long to dose them and how long to wait on eating eggs? Only need this info if this continues and I decide to dose them!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Duramycin10 is normally used for 7 days, and can be used for up to 14 days if symptoms are persisting. Withdrawal time is 14 days after last dose. Tylan 50 injectable (given orally or by injection) is used for 3 to 5 days. It's withdrawal time has been put at 1 day for oral use, or 7 days for injectable use. I just saw a published report yesterday in FARAD digest that said no egg withdrawal time is needed with Tylan.

5. reedycreekchick

Oct 23, 2016
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by