hens soaking wet from getting rained on andit's cold ousite?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roosterfry, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Today my chickens got soaked and the have a dry coop to roost in out of the wind, but I checked them just at dark on the roost and one hen especially is still very wet. It's been getting down in the 30's and 40's F. at night. Do I need to turn the heat on in the coop with a brooder light? I would rather not turn a light on them just yet. I'm wanting to give them a couple weeks to take a break from laying. Do chickens get hypothermia? Thanks in advance for thoughts and suggestions!

2. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    Can you dry them with a towel or something?

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    They will be fine, just leave them be.

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Gotta use the ol' X-2 here and they will be fine....

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    They are remarkably resilient, and down is not like cotton when it gets wet, it is more like wool. The outer layers of feathers look wet, and probably are, but the down, the real meat of the chickens insulation is full of oils to aid in retaining heat, even if wet.

Edit - crap I forgot, toweling them off will REMOVE the oil from their feathers (bad), they will clean themselves up just fine.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Don't baby them their chickens. They will handle it.

7. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Thank ya'll I can sleep a little better now. I've had chickens most of my life and never put as much thought into taking proper care of them as I do now. In the past if a hen died it was no big deal. But now, since I've been taking great care in my breeds that I consider valuable I have pampering these guys! I finally have the breeding stock number of hens I wanted to make it through for spring breeding season I would hate to even lose one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by