Hens spending all day under coop

Aria90

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
I have 2 Sussex x rhode island red hens, just under 3 months old (I was told by the lady who bred them). They seem to spend all their time sitting underneath their coop. It's like a little house raised off the ground. I'm thinking it might be because it's really hot and that would be the coolest place for them? Though their little yard is covered by a shade sail so shouldnt be too hot. I'm very new to chooks so I apologise if this is a silly question or one that's been asked before.

No problem, Well, my chickens did that a lot (stayed under the coop) and then they would lay eggs and it was so annoying. I think they like it under the coop because it is a shady dry place where they can have a nice dust bath. They might also feel more safe and protected from predators and such. If your chickens aren't cause trouble by laying eggs under your coop then its probably best to let them do as they will. Cause that behaviour is totally normal for chickens.
Good Luck!
See you later!
frow.gif

Okay great, glad to hear it's normal. I'm quite happy if they want to lay under there though no eggs yet. Thanks for your reply!

My 4 chooks free range my backyard from dawn to dusk. They are most active early morning and late afternoon. Through most of the day they are under the trees and bushes, having a dustbath or a nap. When they are out in the open they are very aware of what is in the sky, if they see anything that might be a bird of prey they give their alarm call and run for cover. This is an instinct behaviour and a very good survival trait. Not that there is much around here that is likely to take a full grown chicken, I have seen them run away from a duck flying over.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom