Hens squawking over nest.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IB chicken, Jan 5, 2009.

1. IB chicken

IB chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Whenever my Barred Rock, Poppy, is on her nest, our RIR, Ginger tries to get on it with her and they end up making a huge racket. And if she isn't trying to squeeze in there with her, she stands outside of the nest squawking. Is this normal? We have two nest boxes and only 3 pullets. Could it be that our RIR is a rooster? There is always squawking in the morning but usually after the sun is up and it doesn't sound like a rooster. We are worried about the neighbors complaining since it is so loud. Also, to my knowledge, we aren't sure our RIR has laid any eggs yet. We are only getting one egg a day.

2. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I hope it is normal b/c two of ours are doing the same thing right now. One girl has been in the "nest of the day" for a while now and another is trying to squeeze in with her. There is actually a third hen perched in the run waiting for the box to become available. [​IMG] We have two boxes that are identical but it seems that each day they all vote on which box is the "box of the day" [​IMG] I would not worry too much as long as a hen does not get impatient and pop out an egg on the ground or floor!! [​IMG] Good luck and [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    It's perfectly normal. The hens tend to have their favorite laying nest and if another one is in it at the same time they want to lay they can really put up a HUGE fuss. It's pretty funny to me, but they're totally serious. We have 10 boxes and they still have their favs even though there's plenty of open/available nests. [​IMG]

4. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    They all seem to want to lay in the same nest no matter how many nests you have

5. IB chicken

Sep 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I won't worry then. We love this forum. I never really knew having chickens could be so much fun! [​IMG]

6. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Try putting a golf ball or wooden egg in each box. That way the squawker might figure out that the other box is good too.

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I was just gonna post the same question. I had a millie pullet who is laying on the *egg spot* I assume thinking about laying and heard a bunch of bawk bawking like an alarm. I thought it was her trying to lay the egg (they are new to laying). But when I poked my head in it is the Serama hen in there screaching at the top of her lungs, which is funny because she is normally the quietest of all the chickens and usually just gives a gentle *mew*.

Glad to hear this is normal!

8. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Lets put it this way. Ever needed to use a potty really bad and there was someone in there? Did ya bang on the door and holler hurry up already I got to go.

Well they are doing the same thing but in chickeneze.

9. IB chicken

Sep 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That's a great analogy. Never thought of it like that. Only problem is that once our BR is off the nest, no one goes in and lays any eggs. Our RIR is probably just bossy!

10. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Our Dominique's always steal the fake eggs and put them all in one nest, we are constantly putting the fake eggs back in the boxes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by