Hens started laying outside of coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by markb, Oct 9, 2012.

1. markb

markb Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    My two back sex-links started laying about three weeks ago. All was good until about a week ago when i notice production drop.

I let my ladies free range my back yard during the days.

Today i was home for lunch when i heard the laying squawks start. I ran outside to see witch one it was and neither were in the coop.

I found them underneath my Office in the back corner. And there were a three eggs in their makeshift nest. who knows how many the raccoons ran off with.

So what do i do? stop free ranging? is something wrong with there nest (a old milk crate with cutout side and straw (which they lay in still just not as often)

Thanks for advice in advance.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Keep them shut in tbe coop for a few days, with a few fake eggs or golf balls in the boxes to encourage them. Then start letting then out late in the day, after they have already layed. eventually you will be able to let them come and go as they wish, but first establish a good laying habit.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree with 1muttsfan. That is a good approach. Since you know where that other nest is, take all eggs and try to mess it up a bit so it does not look like such a great place to lay. That's usually easier said than done.

Something else I've done. If I catch one sitting on a nest where they are not supposed to be laying, I catch them and lock them in the nest I want them to use until they lay the egg. That usually takes about a half hour though I had one that took three hours. Most of the time they take the hint first thing, but I had one that I had to do that to twice

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. markb

markb Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    So I've kept them locked in there coop and run. Since the other day. And flower Is laying one egg a day just like she has been, in the nest. Rose on the other hand is being stubborn and hasn't laid anything yet.

Should i worry about her? The ladies are going stir crazy lock in there run/coop.

5. markb

markb Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    You know i did the math and they are only 23 1/2 weeks. Maybe they are just getting into the swing of things.

6. markb

markb Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    So They have been locked int eh coop/run for 6 or 7 days. And Flower is still laying 1 egg a day in the nest. and rose hasn't laid anything yet. Should i worry?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by